Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why Kam in your face???

I did a very delightful interview this afternoon and as usual the reporter asked me why..Kam in your face. Well to set the record straight, the name came about when 3 drunk friends were in a particular establishment called Bulldog last year and while sipping thru my whiskey diet coke, I asked the table ..." Damn...I don't even have a name for my show in Actors studio yet..how ah?"

To which a certain Mr Paul Hasham looked at me and blurted " Just call it Joanne Kam lah...in your face " There was silence at the table as I looked at him, he looked at me and we bust out laughing as he reiterated " Ya that's it! Kam...in your face!" and so it was and now it is. So yes, I do have my dear friend Paul to thank for this very becoming title and now everything else will be a string of .........Kamings.

Seeeeee.......alcohol isn't all that bad for you...:)

Besides the title, everything up till now has been hard work one after the other and I personally have been feeling the stress in so many different angle that my body just aches in places that I never knew could ache. Its been quite a journey, from concept to execution and I'm thankful that the cast have been very gung ho about trying on new things.

For me, this is just the beginning of many other things that I would like to explore with in terms of my own capabilities. Cabaret has always been a part of my life, ever since I started performing in Singapore and yes it's a dying art, because every other club in town today would rather pay for an international DJ than a group of talented individuals.

So when I was constantly asked by my public to stage a show of my own, I really wanted it to be a meaningful showcase. So what I did was to blend my old style cabaret with my theater experiences, having learn from productions such as Life Sdn Bhd 2 ( my first theater show ), Broken Bridges and Aladdin.

Next I wanted my show to have a musical influence, not so much broadway or musical theater but to do songs which to me highlighted different aspects of cabaret performances. Songs that are familiar and yet spiced up to make it our very own style. So from the beginning of the show till it ends we will take you on a journey that will leave you kamming for more..:)

So Kam share with us, laugh with us, cry with us and play with us as we tantalize you in a new era of cabaret showcase.

3 comments:

KienKiong Yeo said...

Hi Joanne,

May I know what had inspired you to direct the show? Would there be certain obstacles with Gavin Yap when it comes creative conflicts?

Anonymous said...

Dear Yeo,

Well, this show besides being a cabaret showcase,also hails my first directorial effort in piecing everything together.

This particular showcase is very different from directing a play as a lot of other things are needed for consideration.

Besides the songs & dance numbers there are 2 skits in the show. In act 1, there is CSI Petaling street which is written & directed by me.

In act 2, there's Streets of Fire which is written & directed by Gavin.

In terms of creative conflicts between me & Gavin amusingly enough we do share similar creative inspirations hence that was how this collaboration came about.

I've always told him he should do comedy coz he is actually quite funny.

In any case, the entire showcase is overseen by me and his main job is to handle Skit 2, which is streets of fire so in that aspect, he has done a fantastic job with it.

Other than that, we manage to also rope him into rapping, dancing and even a bit of singing so ...:) for the first time in a long while, you will get to see Mr Yap in a totally different light from what he's use to...:)

P.S : yes I sometimes do have to hide the razor blades but other than that everything is dandy...:)

Just kidding, it's been a fun journey for everyone.

KienKiong Yeo said...

Thank you for your thought about directing as well as producing the show.

I think that two brains is better than one. Even if both had disagreements and challenging at times, but it would be twice the creativity and excitement for the production.
=)